Darlin’ Rae, who is awesome and has a blog you should all check out, nominated me for a Liebster Award today (thanks Rae!)
To be perfectly honest, in the past when I saw comments on other blogs talking about nominations for Liebster Awards, I thought they were spam and I avoided clicking on the accompanying links for fear that they were laden with viruses or something else undesirable (…cooties?). Turns out I was very wrong. The Liebster Award is a way to discover cool blogs by using a chain-mail-esque (chain blog?) or tag-like tactic.
The rules, as borrowed from Darlin’ Rae’s post, are as follows:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you (Cheers, Rae!)
- Answer the 11 questions they came up with
- Nominate 11 other blogs with less than 500 followers
- Create 11 questions for your nominees to answer
- Tag your nominees and notify them
More honesty: I’ve always been a shunner of chain mail, in both snail mail and e-mail form. When, in doing my preliminary research to see if Liebster Awards were indeed spam, I saw it likened to chain mail, my first instinct was to ignore the whole thing (after thanking Rae, because I was still chuffed to have been nominated!). However, after perusing Rae’s list of other nominated blogs, I found I quite enjoyed discovering new blogs to read, and who am I to shut down an opportunity for some blog lovin’? (Plus, Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” has been stuck in my head ever since, and I’m hoping that once I post this, the earworm will be exorcised.)
So, here’s my best attempt at answering Rae’s questions:
1) What is your dream vacation destination?
If time and money were no object? I’d want to go everywhere – travel the world, see as much as possible.
2) If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Yikes, that’s a tough one! Can I be vague and say “pasta”? Because, yes, pasta. I love it. I love it with sauce, I love it with cheese, I love it with just a bit of butter and maybe a sprinkle of sugar (I’m weird). It’s my favorite comfort food.
3) Do you have siblings? How many?
I have an older brother, and since he’s married I have a sister-in-law as well.
4) What do you want to be when you grow up?
I want to be a librarian at the Bodleian. A special collections librarian, perhaps, but I’d be happy being a worker bee who carries the books back and forth from the underground stacks too… if that’s even how the library still works. Last time I was there, there was talk of doing away with the big underground conveyor system. Anyway, I dig being a librarian, and I love the Old Bodleian and Radcliffe Camera libraries, and if I could be a librarian at one of those libraries, I would be a very happy person!
5) What is your one can’t-live-without piece of running gear/equipment/clothing?
Hmm. That’s a good question. I’ve never had one thing that I’ve *always* run with – never one specific thing; obviously I’ve always had socks, shoes, etc. I’m a big fan of the MapMyRun app, and I almost always use it on my phone when I run, but I don’t always take my phone with me. I’d have to say maybe my RoadID bracelet… I’ve worn it for 99% of runs I’ve gone on since I bought it, and I like the feeling of security I have from it, just in case.
6) Have you ever traveled outside your home country? If not, where do you want most to go?
I have – I’ve been to England, Scotland, Ireland, France, the Dominican Republic, and the Bahamas. But, like I said in my answer to #1, I want to go everywhere! There’s so much left of the world that I want to see!
7) If you won the Powerball jackpot, what’s the first thing you’d do or buy?
Pay off my student loans and mortgage… is that too boring? 🙂 I wouldn’t hem and haw over buying a pair of new Saucony Guides, I can tell you that! There is one thing I would love to do, but it involves a sports team on the verge of something exciting and I don’t want to jinx them. Can I tell you after this weekend?
8) What’s your favorite season?
Spring. I think. I love seeing everything bloom after a long winter, and I love perfect spring weather when it’s sunny and warm enough to not need a jacket, but not so hot that I don’t want to do anything. I’m not a big fan of pollen, though. Nor am I a fan of the “spring” we’re having this year… I don’t like that I have to still wear wool socks while waiting for the bus in the morning when it’s May!
9) If you could change your name, would you? What would you change it to?
I’ve thought about this a lot throughout my life, and I’ve never come up with a name that I think fits me better than my own. Props to my parents! I wouldn’t change it.
10) What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
Oof, another toughie. I could be philosophical and say life, which is a pretty significant gift. (Thanks again, Mum and Dad!) In terms of material awesomeness, Drew got me a handheld gaming thing a few years ago that plays old NES and SNES games, and it’s made me so happy:
It also makes long plane rides pass much more quickly!
11) What are 3 things you’re scared of?
-Spiders/bugs that surprise me… I’m okay if I see them coming, but sneak attacks are no joke.
-The noises my old house makes when I’m home alone.
-The crawl-space in my cellar. My own damn fault for watching the first season of American Horror Story!
*Disclaimer: No pressure to any of my nominated bloggers to continue the Liebster chain! (Listen to the wind blow…)
**Disclaimer 2: I’m adjusting the rules a bit because some of the blogs I wanted to nominate technically have too many followers, and others have already gone through the Liebster rigamarole, and honestly, it’s late as I’m writing this and I can’t be arsed to find new blogs at this hour, so I’m nominating 9, and thus posing 9 questions, instead of 11.
9 blogs (all about running) that I think are awesome:
- A Non-Runner’s Adventures in Running
- Attempted Runner
- The Crazy Runner Girl
- Girl on the Run
- Grundy Runs
- I RUN!
- Run, Rest, Repeat
- Slowly Running Fast
- We Run For Cupcakes
My questions for you:
- What made you decide to start a blog?
- What was the toughest race you’ve ever run, and what made it so tough?
- If you could pick anyone, dead or alive, to be your running buddy, who would you choose?
- If you could only eat at one restaurant for the rest of your life, which one would it be? Why?
- What is your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
- If you run with music, what is your favorite song to run to?
- Describe your ideal course for a race (any distance).
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Would you rather hold the record for the fastest mile or for the longest distance run in one go?
There you have it. Thank you again to Rae, whose nomination provided my evening entertainment (I’m a gaming widow tonight), and please be sure to visit the blogs listed above!