Happy Friday!! This week I’m joining the Friday Five Link-Up, sponsored by You Signed Me Up For WHAT?!, Mar on the Run, and Eat Pray Run, DC. (Hopefully they won’t mind this non-DC blog jumping on their bandwagon!)
This week’s theme is “Five Things I Was Doing Ten Years Ago,” which – given my love for waxing nostalgic – appealed to me! Please excuse me now as I launch into a thoroughly non-running-related post about the good ol’ days…
So, let’s see… ten years ago was June 2005, the summer between my junior and senior years of undergrad. What was I doing?
1) I had just gotten back from a semester in England, and I was missing it terribly – the places, the experiences, and especially the people:
If you had told me before I left for England that I’d have culture shock upon returning to the States, I would have thought you were crazy… but the struggle was real. There’s a good chance I was one of those super annoying college kids who thought I was full of worldly wisdom after 4 months abroad, and who complained constantly about how the food/music/public transport/money/accent/culture/everything was sooo much better in England. So, it’s pretty safe to say that 10 years ago I was pining, likely in an insufferable manner. I apologize for that version of me!
2) I was blogging like crazy, as it was the best way to keep in touch with all the peeps from my study-abroad program. (My school didn’t have access to Facebook yet, which is weird to think about!)
Good ol’ xanga.
3) I was living in one of my college’s dorms for the summer, with my awesome roommate B:
I remember living off of cereal, stealing mattresses from vacant rooms down the hall so our friends could crash with us, and making trips to the beach to escape the cement-block sauna that was our room. B was my rock that summer, too, when my college boyfriend and I split. She put up with Emo Dana, and probably deserves a medal!
4) I was working full-time at a newspaper:
As soon as my feet hit US soil again, I was back to the UnOffice (pictured above), calling people for interviews, fact checking, copy editing, and also goofing off quite a bit. There were daily morning trips to Dunkin Donuts, coupled with nearly daily afternoon trips to the Coffee Break Cafe, so needless to say I was very caffeinated 10 years ago!
5) I was helping my friends move into a house, affectionately called the UFhOme:
(“UFhOme” is a long story.) After helping paint and move furniture, I got to take advantage of having a friend-house less than a half-mile from my college campus, and so much of my senior year was spent hanging out there. Dance parties, movie nights, home-cooked meals.. it was awesome.
What were you up to 10 years ago?
Who else had a xanga??